Templeogue Tennis Club
Ph. 01 490 2760
Email : email@example.com
The history of Templeogue Lawn Tennis Club is intimately connected with that of the Templeogue Inn, otherwise known as 'The Morgue', owing to the number of bodies brought there following fatal accidents on the Dublin to Blessington Steam Tram line. The principal depot of the company was sited on our present car park. In 1906, the then owner of the Templeogue Inn, Mr Ned Keating, decided to lay out a tennis court in a field adjoining the Inn. A second court was laid two years later and a private club was formed. Unfortunately, with the outbreak of World War 1, the club folded in 1914. Towards the end of 1916, Mr Paddy O'Byrne, who had been secretary of the club, was invalided out of the British Army. He decided to restart the club and called a meeting in the Templeogue Inn on the 20th May, 1917. Templeogue Tennis Club was born.
The two old courts were reopened and two more courts were laid close by. In 1919 the first pavilion was erected. This consisted of a large wooden crate which had been used to import a car from abroad. Three years later in 1922, a new and much larger wooden pavilion was erected. Also in that year the club entered its first league team in Class IV of the Dublin League. Templeogue LTC were promoted to Class III the following year but had to wait until 1932 before celebrating its first victory, The occasion of Templeogue LTC winning Class III for the first time was marked by a long remembered celebration in which all the village joined.
Tragedy struck in 1933 when the pavilion was destroyed by fire, but within a matter of months a new clubhouse was built, at a cost of £466 and was officially opened on 10th February, 1934. In 1939 the club acquired the site formerly occupied by the depot of the Dublin Blessington Steam Tram Company and in 1947 laid two clay courts on this site. In the early 1950's a further three grass courts were laid, bringing the total to eleven courts, nine grass and two clay. No further development took place until 1976, when three grass courts nos. 5,6 and 7 were converted to hard courts and floodlit. Templeogue LTC was one of the first tennis clubs in the country to install floodlighting. In 1979 the remaining six grass courts were converted to hard courts and floodlit. Shortly after this the word 'Lawn' was dropped from the name of the club. The hard courts remained in use until 1991 when they were replaced by all weather Omni-
Templeogue Tennis Club was always a very popular social venue. Throughout the 1940's and 50's the club ran the renowned Sunday Night Dances, followed in the 1960's and 70's by the famous Templeogue Tennis Hops, where patrons danced to the music of groups such as Skid Row, Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy, Colm Wilkinson and his band. The club was granted a Bar Licence in 1972 and with an average turnover of £85 per week, it recorded a profit of £305 in its first year of operation.
With the continued growth of the Club and the ever increasing membership, the old wooden pavilion, which had served the members so well for over 50 years, could no longer accommodate the numbers. In May 1984 the old pavilion was closed down and in August of that year building commenced on a new clubhouse which was officially opened by Mrs Pauline Daly, President I.L.T.A. on the 22nd September, 1985.
In 1991 the club purchased 13/4 acres of land, at the rear of the club, from Dublin Corporation. Over the following years, a number of plans were drawn up and discussed by the members until finally in April 1999, the members approved a plan to develop this land. This development, which commenced in March 2000, included the construction of four new tennis courts, the installation of new floodlighting and resurfacing of all twelve courts, the provision of a new car park and landscaping of the Club grounds. The development was completed in July 2000.